the Mystery of Bitcoin and Cryptocurrencies revealed
June 19, 2018 - Denver
From the earliest days of economic history, money has played a critical role. This class will explore that role and consider how cryptocurrencies—like Bitcoin—fit into the history of money.
The class will explore what a crypto-currency is, how the blockchain alters traditional monetary management, the role of cryptocurrencies in the current economy, and how the technology behind cryptocurrencies opens new opportunities for economic growth. We won’t show you how to get rich, but will take some of the mystery out of this new technological form of money. Get up to speed so you can answer those challenging questions from students (and colleagues).
- Grades: Secondary Teacher Focus (all K-12 welcome)
- Time: 8:30 am - 4:00 pm
- Location: 3443 South Galena Street, 2nd Floor, Denver, CO 80231
- FEE: $25*
- Optional Credit: ½ UCCS ECON 6310 or 6320 Graduate Credit Hour, $50. Credit is good for Certificate in Economic Education or in Personal Financial Literacy Education, but not both.
- Faculty: Dale DeBoer, PhD, University of Colorado Colorado Springs; and mentor teacher Ken Benson, Niwot High School
- Includes: Light breakfast and lunch
$50 & $100 Teacher Travel Stipends Are AvailableEconomic Literacy Colorado is offering a travel stipend for active teachers. Fill out a form (provided at the class) and we will send you a check upon mileage verification. Receive $50 when you drive over 75 miles one way or $100 when you drive over 200 miles one way. One stipend per carpool please.
REGISTRATION GUIDELINES: We try to identify the best fit for our open enrollment classes, usually by the kinds of resources and pedagogy included in the class. However, it is our STRONG belief that the content from any of these classes is valuable for the professional development of any teacher, will enhance the understanding of ALL teachers, and will inspire creative applications in individual classrooms. We encourage teachers of all grade levels to attend any of our classes.