FTE’s Fundamentals of Environmental Economics
August 3, 2019 – Colorado Springs
This one-day class is designed to familiarize middle and high school social studies and science teachers, or curriculum specialists, with a non-biased approach that introduces the basics of environmental economics and provides effective simulations to introduce the concepts into the classroom. The day will include classroom-tested activities, as well as a variety of interactive lectures and case studies focusing on the following:
- Overview of environmental economics concepts
- Tragedy of the Commons
- Water use policies
- Climate change policies
- Priorities for global spending simulation
- Land use case study
- Grades: Secondary Teacher Focus (grades 6-12)
- Location: Colorado Springs, TBD
- Time: 8:30 am to 4:00 pm
- Fee: $25 class fee*
- Optional Credit: 1.0 UCCS Graduate Credit Hour ($144), with required assignment outside of class (approx. 6 hours to complete assignment). Credit is good for Certificate in Economic Education. Credit registration and class assignment information will be provided at the class.
- Includes: Light breakfast, lunch, a certificate of completion from Foundation for Teaching Economics, and an a 7.5 hour continuing education letter from Economic Literacy Colorado.
- *Attendance Stipends: Thanks to a one-time generous grant, upon completion of the class, a $250 stipend will be mailed 4-6 weeks after class to ACTIVE teacher participants.
- Requirement for Class: Participants are required to bring a smart phone, tablet or laptop to class
- NO TRAVEL OR PARKING STIPENDS AVAILABLE FOR THIS CLASS
*REFUND POLICY: Registration cancellations must be requested 10 business days prior to the class start date; otherwise registration fees will be forfeited.
REGISTRATION GUIDELINES: We try to identify the best fit for our open enrollment classes, usually by the kinds of resources and pedagogy included in the class. However, it is our STRONG belief that the content from any of these classes is valuable for the professional development of any teacher, will enhance the understanding of ALL teachers, and will inspire creative applications in individual classrooms. We encourage teachers of all grade levels to attend any of our classes.