Teaching Personal Financial Literacy in the Elementary Grades
This online course will help you meet the Personal Financial Literacy requirements in the Colorado Academic Standards and its testing.
*Accredited Instructor-Facilitated Course:
- Instructor-paced with a logical progression
- Approximately 5 hours per week over 6 weeks
- Weekly online discussion among participants
- Instructor will monitor progress and be available for questions
- Optional two semester hours of graduate-level continuing education credit through UCCS is available, as is a letter documenting 30 contact hours.
This course offers a professional development opportunity to any teacher, school or district interested in incorporating personal financial literacy (PFL) with economic reasoning into their elementary (K-5) curriculum. Teachers taking this standards-based course can expect to receive professional development in three dimensions:
- content from a university professor trained in PFL
- pedagogy and methods from elementary teachers experienced in PFL (grade bands K-2 and 3-5 separated)
- grade-level appropriate resources that are classroom ready (Financial Fitness for Life curriculum guide)
The course has been designed to be engaging and enlightening and will be managed by an instructor experienced in the online learning environment.
There are two options for this class: Instructor-facilitated with graduate-level continuing education credit and self-directed (see below). Both are organized into six modules:
- Course Introduction
- Buying Goods and Services
- Earning Income
- Using Credit
- Financial Investing/Protecting & Insuring
Contact the CCEE office at 303-752-2323 | email@example.com
Different dates represent the same class offered different times. Sign up for one:
- Next Session (TBD - Early Spring 2019)
- June 18 to July 29, 2018 (closed)
- January 29 to March 11, 2018 (closed)
This class is FREE ($90 value); there is a $50 refundable deposit due which will be refunded upon completion of the course.
Credit and Time Commit:
One can opt to receive two semester credit hours (graduate level continuing professional education credit) from UCCS, $200 payable to UCCS. The standard ratio of clock time to credit has been applied. Therefore, approximately 30 total hours of contact time is expected over the duration of the course, distributed at approximately five hours per week over six weeks.
A course completion certificate is also available from CCEE, documenting 30 hours of professional development contact time.
24/7 online access to the course portal; a flash drive containing the K-12 lessons from Financial Fitness for Life (Teacher Guides and Student Workbooks) with ready-to-go lessons to bring into your classroom.
EconLitCo must be notified of cancellation at least 10 days in advance of the class start date. If not, your $50 refundable deposit will be forfeited. Additionally, if you do not complete the course, the FFFL resource must be returned to EconLitCo or you will be charged the retail price.
Click here if you’re interested in offering this course to teachers in your state through your state Center or Council; available to out-of-state Centers and Councils only.