Koelbel Enterprising Teacher of the Year Award
Past Enterprising Teacher of the Year Winners:
- 2018 Winner - Della Hoffman, Place Bridge Academy, Denver Public Schools
- 2017 Winner - Ken Benson, Niwot High School, Saint Vrain Valley School District
- 2016 Winner - Don Spano, Challenger Middle School, Colorado Springs School District 11
- 2015 Winner - Rudy Sumpter, Monarch High School, Boulder Valley School District
- 2014 Winner - Mark Ewig, Palmer Ridge High School, Lewis-Palmer School District
- 2013 Winner - Debbie Cohen, Liberty Middle School, Cherry Creek School District
- 2012 Winner - Sherry Weber, Chatfield High School, Jefferson County School District
- 2011 Winner - Michael Paige, Cheyenne Mountain High School, Cheyenne Mountain School District
- 2010 Winner - Terence Miller, Cherokee Trail High School, Cherry Creek School District
- 2009 Winner - Sara Shackett, Lakewood High School, Jefferson Country School District
- 2008 Winner - Richard Trinkner, Boulder High School, Boulder Valley School District
- 2007 Winner - Donna Ecks, Doherty High School, Colorado Springs #11 School District
- 2006 Winner - Gerard (Jerry) Rouse, Thunder Ridge High School, Douglas County District
- 2005 Winner - Tracey Boychuk, Pomona High School, Jefferson County School District
- 2004 Winner - Suzanne deLemos, Northglenn High School, Adams 12 Five Star Schools
- 2003 Winner - Lisa Vogt, Thunder Ridge High School, Douglas County District
- 2002 Winner - Curt Smith, Liberty High School, Air Academy School District
- 2001 Winner - Kendra Cheese, Lakewood High School, Jefferson County School District
- 2000 Winner - Marc Johnson, Smoky Hill High School, Cherry Creek School District
- 1999 Winner - Rex Duncan, Grand Junction High School, Mesa County School District
- 1998 Winner - Jim Astle, Evergreen High School, Jefferson County School District
- 1997 Winner - Francisco Garcia, Standley Lake High School, Jefferson County School District
- 1996 Winner - Donald Benavidez, Pueblo School of Arts and Sciences, Pueblo School District
- 1995 Winner - Elizabeth Stansberry, Denver Public Schools
- 1994 Winner - Dorsee Johnson-Tucker, Lakewood High School, Jefferson County School District
- 1993 Winner - Bill Achbach, George Washington High School, Denver Public Schools
- 1992 Winner - Sue Badgett, Air Academy High School, Air Academy School District
- 1991 Winner - Kathy Ratte', Jefferson County School District
- 1990 Winner - Jay Grenawalt, George Washington High School, Denver Public Schools
- 1989 Winner - Candace Allen, formerly of the Pueblo School District
- 1988 Winner - Phyllis Bye, Heatherwood Elementary School, Boulder Valley School District
Economic Literacy Colorado is accepting nominations for exemplary teachers of these academic disciplines (as well as those who integrate these disciplines into other subjects) for its 31st annual Enterprising Teacher of the Year Award. Accompanying the recognition is a $2,000 award to be presented at the Colorado Council for the Social Studies conference luncheon in April 2019.
The judging questions appear below. You can submit your responses online from this site or send them electronically (as an attachment) to EconLitCo at firstname.lastname@example.org. Student testimonials are optional. You can find sample applications from previous winners at this website.
If you are selected as the award recipient you will be expected to attend at the 2019 Colorado Council for the Social Studies Conference. You will be honored in front of the state social studies community at that time.
Award funded by the:
Buz and Sherri Koelbel Endowment
- How has the applicant exhibited a personal passion for the academic disciplines of economics and/or financial literacy?
- How has the applicant demonstrated an ongoing commitment to the best pedagogical practices in economic education and/or promoting financial literacy?
- How has the applicant utilized the resources of the Economic Literacy Colorado?
- How successful has the applicant been in inspiring an appreciation for and interest ineconomics and/or financial literacy with his/her students?
- How has the applicant promoted economic education and/or financial literacy beyond her/his classroom? (school, district, community)
- Active Colorado K-12 teacher or administrator/coordinator
- Previous non-winning nominees
- Previous winners prior to 2000
Please contact Economic Literacy Colorado at 303-752-2323 with any questions.
2019 Entry Form
The deadline is February 15, 2019